Beat the Street is a real life walking, cycling, running and rolling game for the whole community, which runs from Wednesday, June 16 – Wednesday, July 14. It is being run by Somerset Activity and Sports Partnership, Somerset County Council and Somerset West and Taunton Council, funded by the National Lottery via Sport England and managed by Intelligent Health.
Participants score points and win prizes by walking, cycling or running from point to point and swiping a registered Beat the Street card or fob at contactless sensors (Beat Boxes) which are placed on lamp posts across Taunton.
There are fantastic prizes on offer for individuals and teams – top school teams are able to win up to £150 worth of Davies Sports vouchers while community teams are also eligible to win up to £150 worth of Davies Sports vouchers. Registered players are also eligible to win a ‘Lucky Box’ prize by hovering their card/fob at a Beat Box throughout the game.
Some 12 primary schools across Taunton that have been invited to the game – around 3,500 children plus their families. There is also a community team side of the game where members of the public can create their own team which can be a family team, workplace team or a club team.
Members of the public can collect cards and letters/maps from one of six distribution points to get involved:
- Taunton YMCA – Mon – Fri 9.15-3.30pm and 6pm-8.30pm. Please note – this distribution point doesn’t reopen until June 21
- Weir Cafe at COACH – Monday to Saturday 9am – 5pm and Sunday 9am – 4pm. Please note – it sometimes closes early if the weather is poor and there is no trade
- Priorswood Community Centre – Monday to Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm.
- Halcon Link Centre
- Taunton Library – Monday to Friday 9.30-5.30pm and Saturday 9.30-5pm
- Asda Taunton Supercentre normal store times, cards will be at the customer service desk
For more information visit https://www.beatthestreet.me/taunton/.