Somerset Chamber is looking to recruit an experienced Events Manager, an individual who will be able to strategically lead, develop and deliver a portfolio of events for all our members. You will be responsible for the end-to-end management of all events. An individual with acute attention to detail, who will leave no stone unturned and deliver exceptional quality.
You will need to be able to lead and develop a small team, and work closely with other Senior Managers. On occasions you will be required to work outside of normal working hours, with time off given in lieu.
If you are interested in the role, the full details can be found below and you can either apply on Indeed or by sending your CV and application to email@example.com.
Position Title: Events Manager
Reporting to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Events & Marketing Executive
Somerset Chamber of Commerce is one of only 53 accredited Chambers to the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) across the country and has ambitious plans to grow its membership and develop services over the next 3 years.
Our vision is to be a catalyst to support and grow a vibrant Somerset economy, in which we aim to help people and businesses connect, influence and represent Somerset businesses both regionally and nationally, and provide opportunities for businesses to grow. To achieve this, we are developing a first-class team focused on service and growth.
The Events Manager will strategically lead and develop the portfolio of all planned events and they are delivered to the highest quality. The Events Manager will develop an Events Strategy in line with the Strategic Plan and vision. They will develop an annual tactical plan of events to ensure that it reaches out to all business across Somerset. They will directly line manage the events team and work across the wider Chamber Team to ensure that effective Comms and Marketing is developed and planned for all events. They will work closely with the Membership Manager on shaping events based on feedback via the Membership Team. Also, ensuring that the Membership Team have full awareness of up-and-coming events, which will form part of their daily conversations with members. They will lead on the Chamber Flagship Event and develop a second flagship event (Somerset Business Conference). They will produce timely reports to the Executive Director and Board as necessary and ensure all data is captured monthly.
- To develop an Events Strategy, in line with the Strategic Plan, Vision and Mission of the Chamber.
- To seek opportunities to develop new initiatives for a series of Events across the County, reaching all corners of the county and incorporating all sectors.
- To identify opportunities to working with other partners and Chambers on future events as part of the strategy.
- To ensure that all events are financially viable and to agreed budgets and profit margins.
- To ensure that all events are evaluated, producing analysis individually, monthly, quarterly and annually.
- To develop and deliver an annual second Flagship Event.
- Work with the Executive Director on grants and funding opportunities to deliver events/programmes and initiatives as per part of the fund.
- To ensure that all Events are of the highest quality, setting standards for all team to work towards and achieve.
- To develop and maintain systems and procedures for the team to follow.
- To update and monitor all reporting data, escalating any issues in a timely manner to the Executive Director.
- To work with the Marketing Team to ensure that the Website is current and regularly updated with all events and marketing for the events.
- To act as the customer’s primary point of contact for all queries and any complaints regarding events.
- To conduct site visits to new potential venues, and negotiate any resulting booking, including ‘up selling’ to maximise opportunities where appropriate.
- To directly line manage the Events Team, ensuring they are supported through regular one to ones to achieve KPI’s and objectives for the team and them individually.
- To conduct the Events Teams’ annual Performance Appraisals, developing their skills and knowledge through a Training Needs Analysis.
- To participate in the wider Senior Management team meetings as required.
- To attend the Chamber Board meetings as required.
- Keep up to date with all Chamber activities, services, and initiatives.
- Deliver first-class customer service and support to all Members and potential members.
- Play an active part in team meetings, staff meetings and other internal communications.
- Present an efficient professional and positive image of the SCoC.
- Observe the Chamber’s employee standards and contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Observe the Chamber’s customer values and contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Take appropriate action whether on own initiative or as requested by the Head of Events to help colleagues with their duties or to help LCCI and give good service to customers.
- Previous Event Management experience, demonstrating a focus on business events.
- Ability to multi- task and meet tight deadlines, with strong time management and prioritisation skills.
- Flexible approach with an ability to work under pressure and prioritise without supervision.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent Customer Service skills.
- Acute attention to detail and accuracy, with a focus on quality of service and delivery.
- Excellent Management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player and ability to Working unsociable hours on occasions.
- Experience in designing and delivering Conferences/Large Scale Events.
- Level 3 Management Qualification.
Terms & Conditions
- Working Hours – Permanent, Full time 37.5 hours per week
- Basic Annual Salary – £30 – £35k
- Travelling Expenses – 45p per mile (from Taunton office for business mileage)
- Holiday – 25 days per year (plus bank holidays) increasing with length of service
- Benefits – Primary health cash plan, holiday buy-back scheme, free car parking, pension, death in service cover
- Time Off in Lieu (TOIL) – catered for instead of overtime