COVID-19 business support
Somerset Chamber of Commerce is supporting local business throughout the Coronavirus crisis.
On this page you will find links to key Government Coronavirus grants and loans, as well as the latest advice for businesses and employers.
We are working closely with the British Chambers of Commerce and other leading business organisations to ensure our members’ views and concerns are heard at the very highest levels.
We are also working with our members to run remote, online workshops to provide professional and expert advice for businesses on topics such as HR, furlough and financial support. Please see our Chamber events page for more information and our webinar section for the latest expert advice.
Our Chief Executive, Stephen Henagulph, is also holding a fortnightly webinar at 10am every other Wednesday to discuss the latest developments and support packages available to businesses across Somerset. To join the call, please email Alistair Tudor at firstname.lastname@example.org for dial-in details.
A downloadable COVID-19 Secure 2020 notice is now available for businesses to display once they have carried out the necessary risk assessments and their workplace is COVID-19 Secure. Download a copy here.
Your guide to Government-led business and employee support, advice and grants
The Government has set out a package of temporary and targeted measures to support public services, people and businesses. Full details can be found on the dedicated Government COVID-19 Business Support website by clicking here.
The package of measures to support businesses includes:
If you are not sure what financial support your business may qualify for, use the Government’s online business support finder by clicking here.
- Additional Government Coronavirus help pages can be found here. The site includes guidance for both employers and businesses, including symptoms, travel advice, sick pay, how to certify absence from work, employees having to take time off to care for relatives, limiting the spread in the workplace and handling post.
- The Government has set up a dedicated Business Support Helpline – 0300 456 3565 – to enable businesses to find the right help and support across a wide range of topics, from business rates relief, grants and employee advice.
- HMRC COVID-19 Helpline 0800 0159 559 is available to support businesses and self-employed people who are worried about paying their tax bills due to Coronavirus.
- Official Government online tool to help companies find the relevant guidance needed to enable them to re-open safely is available online here.
- Guidance to help employers calculate workplace pension and National Insurance contributions in-line with phased changes to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which will allow workers to return on a part-time basis is available online here.
- Government workplace safety guidance for the retail sector can be found online here.
- Somerset County Council and partners have published a detailed Coronavirus local outbreak management plan. The plan is available online and more information can be found in our news section here.
- The Government list of ‘key workers’ – those who can keep their children at school or college – can be found online here.
- Apprenticeships guidance for apprentices, employers and assessment organisations is available here.
- The Government’s full ‘COVID-19 Recovery Strategy‘ can be read here or a three page executive summary has been produced by the British Chambers of Commerce and can be found on our specialist COVID-19 advice page by clicking here.
British Chambers of Commerce Coronavirus Hub
The BCC has a dedicated site with the latest COVID-19 advice for business. It can be found here.
Our members specialise in a wide range of industries and disciplines and many are offering free support and advice on a range of Coronavirus-related topics. More information can be found on our members’ Coronavirus news page by clicking here.